Friday, April 20, 2012

Lew Blackburn denies the third request for Board vote on High Stakes Testing



This is actually the third request and Board President Lew Blackburn's reply.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Corrected Copy - RE: Second Board Agenda Request -- Resolution Concerning High Stakes, Standardized Testing - TASA and TASB
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 19:57:57 +0000
From: Blackburn, Lew
To: Ranger, Carla
CC:


Trustee Ranger,

I noticed that you did not address your request to me, although I did respond to your requests.  I am choosing to respond again.

Board policy BE(LOCAL) vests authority for preparing the agenda with the Board President and the Superintendent of Schools.  In addition, three board members may request that an item be placed on the agenda and BE (LOCAL) requires that such be done within 60 days of the presentment of the request. 
I did not say that there was a policy that required a consensus of the trustees for an item to be placed on the agenda.  My statement was an observation of the trustees’ actions at the board briefing. 

However, as I indicated during the Board Briefing, if three (3) trustees request that the resolution be placed on the agenda, I will honor the request.  As of today, you are the only trustee who has made the request.  Please note, the agenda will be approved for posting by 4:00 p.m. Friday, April 20.

With Regards for Children,


Lew Blackburn, Ph.D.
President, Board of Trustees
Dallas ISD