Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Education Secretary Arne Duncan wants Mayors to take control of school districts

Dallas ISD and Race to the Top: Everything You Need to Know About That  $40 Million - Unfair Park


Dallas Mayor's Office

Secretary of Education Arne Duncan - Mayor Mike Rawlings - Dallas ISD Superintendent Mike Miles

DMN Editorial: Arne Duncan’s vision for Dallas ISD

Video: Duncan's best quotes from Editorial Board meeting

Arne Duncan: Mayors Should Run Schools - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 - Click Here

Education Secretary Arne Duncan said Tuesday that mayors should take control of big-city school districts where academic performance is suffering.

"Speaking at a forum with mayors and superintendents, Duncan promised to help more mayors take over.

"At the end of my tenure, if only seven mayors are in control, I think I will have failed," Duncan said.

He offered to do whatever he can to make the case. "I'll come to your cities," Duncan said. "I'll meet with your editorial boards. I'll talk with your business communities. I will be there."